Okay, so this YA gymnastics novel is a real thing. The downside is that I need to do a shitload of research.
I’m downloading Dominique Moceneau’s book Off Balance post-haste and I’m looking for more stuff like that — actual insider accounts of what it’s like to be a female gymnast at the elite level, not just the CoverGirl commercial version most people see. Anybody have any suggestions? Blogs, articles, books, Reddit IAMAs, anything. I want all the dirt on what goes on inside those gyms.
General research material would be super helpful as well. The story isn’t really about the nuts and bolts of gymnastics so much as the psychology of spending your entire life training for a competition, winning, and then having no idea what to do with yourself after that, but I don’t want to sound stupid. Is there like a Gymnastics Lingo 101 out there or something? Or even just personal anecdotes you know about this stuff. ANYTHING. Help a pal out!
Thank you so much! (If this thing ever gets published I’ll make sure to thank you all in the author’s notes!)
- kim-kelly answered: there’s also that show Make It or Break It. It’s on Netflix
- haveyouseenmychicken answered: I loved these as a kid: goodreads.com/series/…
- anditallfallsdownsometimes likes this
- bravoavocado answered: Some lingo: m.dummies.com/how-to/…
- the-tudge said: Little Girls in Pretty Boxes is A MUST.
- heulwen-a-merlod likes this
- dr-mindylahiri answered: As an FYI, there are Olympic training centers all over the country opened to the public for touring. Hope that helps at all!
- laff-riot answered: Do you follow rosa—sparks? Her 9y.o. is an amazing gymnast and she gives a lot of anecdotal insight into what goes on in gyms.
- laff-riot likes this
- globochem answered: I knew I’d never graduate to the squirrel-flying stage, once I kicked my instructor in face
- overindulgingandunderachieving answered: jezebel just ran an article about dominique moceanu and how she knew it wss time to retire…i also believe the hairpin ran one too this week
- swagamemn0n answered: this sounds really stupid, but the abc family show make it or break it was actually really accurate in terms of the gymnastics bits…? idk
- yesterdaysdreams answered: definitely read chalked up by jennifer sey
- unicornery answered: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li…
- abberz said: i remember reading a ya gymnastics series but i can never remember it’s name and anytime i ask my mom she thinks im crazy. this is not what you are looking for or helpful at all.
- thepushyqueenofsluttown answered: There is a good documentary about elite gymnasts on youtube. Google “parkettes gymnastics documentary.” Also Kerri Strug has a good book.
- acciodaydreams said: what about that movie Stick It…have you seen it? I know nothing about gymnastics so it might be way inaccurate. This book sounds like it’s gonna be so awesome btw. I WANNA READ IT.
- alexleefitz likes this
- ashleyzizzo likes this
- lizdexia posted this