Let’s take a stroll down memory lane, shall we?
1980: Ronald Reagan runs for president, promising a balanced budget
1981 - 1989: With support from congressional Republicans, Reagan runs enormous deficits, adds $2 trillion to the debt.
1993: Bill Clinton passes economic plan that lowers deficit, gets zero votes from congressional Republicans.
1998: U.S. deficit disappears for the first time in three decades. Debt clock is unplugged.
2000: George W. Bush runs for president, promising to maintain a balanced budget.
2001: CBO shows the United States is on track to pay off the entirety of its national debt within a decade.
2001 - 2009: With support from congressional Republicans, Bush runs enormous deficits, adds nearly $5 trillion to the debt.
2002: Dick Cheney declares, “Deficits don’t matter.” Congressional Republicans agree, approving tax cuts, two wars, and Medicare expansion without even trying to pay for them.
2009: Barack Obama inherits $1.3 trillion deficit from Bush; Republicans immediately condemn Obama’s fiscal irresponsibility.
2009: Congressional Democrats unveil several domestic policy initiatives — including health care reform, cap and trade, DREAM Act — which would lower the deficit. GOP opposes all of them, while continuing to push for deficit reduction.
September 2010: In Obama’s first fiscal year, the deficit shrinks by $122 billion. Republicans again condemn Obama’s fiscal irresponsibility.
October 2010: S&P endorses the nation’s AAA rating with a stable outlook, saying the United States looks to be in solid fiscal shape for the foreseeable future.
November 2010: Republicans win a U.S. House majority, citing the need for fiscal responsibility.
December 2010: Congressional Republicans demand extension of Bush tax cuts, relying entirely on deficit financing. GOP continues to accuse Obama of fiscal irresponsibility.
March 2011: Congressional Republicans declare intention to hold full faith and credit of the United States hostage — a move without precedent in American history — until massive debt-reduction plan is approved.
July 2011: Obama offers Republicans a $4 trillion debt-reduction deal. GOP refuses, pushes debt-ceiling standoff until the last possible day, rattling international markets.
August 2011: S&P downgrades U.S. debt, citing GOP refusal to consider new revenues. Republicans rejoice and blame Obama for fiscal irresponsibility.
There have been several instances since the mid 1990s in which I genuinely believed Republican politics couldn’t possibly get more blisteringly ridiculous. I was wrong; they just keep getting worse.
- hahahaley reblogged this from crookedindifference
- rocmvv reblogged this from liberalsarecool
- kelseytarwater reblogged this from psychedeliz
- geetheblogger reblogged this from jesuisperdu
- fromwhenceitcame reblogged this from pizzawolves
- tearyfantasies likes this
- tyler-michael reblogged this from francis-daniel
- telvinarman likes this
- ginamichelina reblogged this from jalvear
- audiokayness likes this
- alloftheextremes reblogged this from crookedindifference and added:
- awkward0rpheus likes this
- floralmargarita reblogged this from crookedindifference
- thearchivalist reblogged this from hapaxlegomina
- zhlw1 reblogged this from timothypatrickmcmahon
- theyoungandwreckless reblogged this from tjcollins
- gavinandxandersmom reblogged this from crookedindifference
- keatsandnewton reblogged this from crookedindifference
- flightbulb likes this
- lovebitesmissy likes this
- tattooedsoul reblogged this from campbasement
- theyoungandwreckless likes this
- dohnjoe likes this
- fredinakargbo likes this
- desaparegut likes this
- mathematiquesnoir reblogged this from crookedindifference and added:
- virginterritoryy reblogged this from hungrylikekevin
- lofijamaica likes this
- shesjustshy reblogged this from crookedindifference
- amasianmom likes this
- writesoftheround reblogged this from lienette
- lienette reblogged this from paralospajaros
- creekwalking reblogged this from crookedindifference
- urbancurse likes this
- sariemcstrickland likes this
- travelingstranger likes this
- alliegator reblogged this from rocknotstone
- rocknotstone reblogged this from hoonspoon
- sealove reblogged this from crookedindifference
- emmercelebrate likes this
- hoonspoon reblogged this from thyrannosaur
- shanfan likes this
- tjcollins reblogged this from baritonepats and added:
- rhythm7a likes this
- akokomura likes this
- shrinka likes this
- baritonepats reblogged this from thyrannosaur and added:
- darthambiguous likes this